Life, Love, Long Hair, Weeping and Gnashing of Teeth, and other mysteries

All this and more, from a semi-Serbian, slightly sane, former editor for physicians and surgeons, who is the mother of seven kids.


Sunday 12 February 2012

Green Smoothie Of The Day

(I originally posted this in a Facebook note but have adapted/moved it here).

When I first discovered green smoothies, I made them almost every morning for a few months, for anyone who was at our house at the time.

Sometimes these smoothies are so good, I want to write down what I used so I can duplicate them, and in case others want to try them.

Of course, there are some that are not worth mentioning but we force them down because they're healthy - like the time I threw in a raw beet.  Eew.  Crunchy.

Depending on what combination of produce one uses in any given smoothie, their thick and sometimes fibrous texture can require a little chewing to get them down, which is not altogether unpleasant, but I prefer to use a straw for maximum enjoyment.

I will add to this list if and when other good smoothies materialize in my good ol' Bosch blender.





















Friday, November 5, 2010
  1. organic mint leaves (5 or 6 of them)
  2. organic baby spinach (half a blender full)
  3. organic coconut milk (from a can - they don't sell baby coconuts in my town....YET!)... half a can
  4. banana
  5. 1/4 of a pineapple
  6. 1/3 of a cantaloupe
  7. 1/2 an English cucumber
  8. about 1/2 tsp Stevia Plus powder
  9. water (however much is needed to get smoothie to desired consistency after everything is blended
Blend up the first three ingredients first, so the leaves get as liquefied as possible.  Then add more stuff until it fills the blender loosely, blend it, and repeat till it's all blended.

Drink it with a straw.  YUM!





Wednesday, November 10
Today's smoothie consisted of:
Mint leaves
  1. Spinach
  2. Half a mini watermelon (just the red part!) 
  3. Banana
  4. Tomato
  5. Kiwi
  6. Mint leaves
  7. Water
  8. Apple
  9. Stevia Plus
It was okay, but not fabulous.




Thursday, November 11
Another reason it's good to use a straw.
  1. Coconut milk
  2. Pineapple
  3. Banana
  4. Spinach
  5. Parsley
  6. Water
  7. Stevia Plus
Tasty, but would've been better if the pineapple was a sweeter one.









Saturday, November 20

Dragon fruit
1.  Coconut milk (1/2 can)             
2.  Dragon fruit (whole)
3.  Banana (1)
4.  Long English cucumber (1/3)
5.  Fuji apple (1 large)
6.  Spinach (1/2 blender full)
7.  Cinnamon (about 2 tsp)
8.  Stevia Plus (about 1 tsp - or 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of plain stevia powder)

I haven't been listing the smoothies I make every day as they were just kind of average.  This one, however,  was worth mentioning as it got a lot of "oh, man, that is GOOD" type comments from the kids and Daddy.  I concur.





Sun Jan 15, 2012
1.  Seeds of 1 large pomegranate
2.  Half a honeydew melon
3.  1/2 blender full of spinach
4.  Fuji apple
5.  Carrot
6.  2 ribs of celery
7.  Frozen banana
8.  Water to thin it out
9.  1/8 tsp stevia powder
I took a picture of them before adding water to thin them out.


 




Sun Feb 12, 2012
1.  Spinach
2.  Walnuts (about 1/3 cup)
3.  Can of organic coconut milk
4.  Banana
5.  Organic Fuji apple (sliced into 8 or so pieces, core removed but skin left on).
6.  One orange
7.   Mango
8.  Water to thin it out
9.  Stevia powder (1/4 tsp)


This one received the YUM word from both my 17-year-old daughter and my 14-year-old daughter, so that tells me it was a winner.










Another favorite and super healthy item to throw into your smoothies -- again, if you can find one -- is a baby coconut.  More readily available in larger towns, baby coconuts have incredible health benefits, much of which has already been written on the internet and I encourage you to look it up and be amazed with me.

I can barely cut one of these life-giving mothers up without at least one of my kids hovering around waiting to pounce on the water and the yummy "meat".

 The water in these coconuts is full to the top.  Cutting them open can be tricky but well worth it, and I strongly recommend you look up a Youtube video for help before risking losing a finger in the process.



If you are into smoothies, please comment.  I'd love to hear your thoughts on them!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, so many combinations! I've never made one with quite so many ingredients... I usually stick to one or two fruits + something green... I think I'm afraid I'll mess it up :) I never thought to add dragon fruit! Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me - please.